At least 7 killed in shooting in Jerusalem; gunman slain

Jerusalem synagogue attack leaves at least 7 dead

A gunman opened fire Friday night near a synagogue in east Jerusalem, killing at least seven people and wounding several before he was shot and killed, Israeli police and medics said.

The shooting in the Jewish neighborhood of Neve Yaakov followed a deadly raid by the Israeli military Thursday in the occupied West Bank that killed nine Palestinians, with a 10th killed later north of Jerusalem. 

After Friday’s shooting, a spokesman for the Magen David Adom emergency service said that in addition to those killed, three people had been taken to a hospital, including a 70-year-old in critical condition, a 20-year-old in serious condition, and a 14-year-old in moderate to serious condition.

Israeli police said the gunman was shot and killed, and large police force was at the scene.

On Twitter, Police Commissioner Yaakov Shabtai said the Jerusalem shooting was “a difficult and complex attack with a large number of casualties.”

Police said the attacker came from East Jerusalem. They said it appears he started shooting on the street prior his arrival at the synagogue, where worshippers were gathered for Shabbat evening prayers.

“This is absolutely horrific,” U.S. State Department spokesman Vedant Patel told reporters. “We condemn this apparent terrorist attack in the strongest terms. Our commitment to Israel’s security remains ironclad, and we are in direct touch with our Israeli partners.”

The White House said President Biden spoke with Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu “to discuss the horrific terror attack” and “made clear that this was an attack against the civilized world.”

Israeli emergency service personnel and security forces stand near a covered body at the site of a reported attack in a settler neighbourhood of Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, on January 27, 2023.

Secretary of State Antony Blinken is scheduled to visit the region next week.

Earlier, scuffles between Israeli forces and Palestinian protesters erupted after the funeral for a 22-year-old Palestinian north of Jerusalem and elsewhere in the occupied West Bank.


  • Jerusalem
Thanks for reading CBS NEWS.
Create your free account or log in
for more features.

Leave a Comment